Sunday, November 29, 2015

How To Make Your Own Portable CC Timeline Cards {Tutorial}

There are so many things that I love about Classical Conversations, and one of the things that ranks right up there is the amazing Timeline. Not only is the song super-catchy and well done, but there are hand motions and Timeline cards to assist in learning.

While the Timeline cards aren’t the cheapest item on the planet, I do believe they are worth every penny. They are prized possessions in our household, with beautiful illustrations and a wonderful hand-feel. You might say the quality of the product just inspires reverence and delight in the hands of the user.

However.

I also live in a home with little people. Who do not quite understand the cost-value of said Timeline cards and who aren’t necessarily as gentle with the 160+ cards.

You might say I’m a little possessive of my Timeline cards... and I know I’m not alone.

We actually purchased our set used, and they already came with holes punched and on a GIANT o-ring. I love it. We actually store ours in a container designed to hold deviled eggs. (You can find them at your local grocery store for cheaper.)

How We Store Timeline Cards in a Deviled Egg Container.

I’ve seen some people do the cards-in-small-plastic-sleeves-in-binders option as well.

But I wanted to something that I could hand to my three-year-old and not have any fears or worries about what might happen to the product. And also something a little more portable than the giganticus stack of Timeline cards.

And so, I give you my tutorial to make your own portable Timeline cards.


Now, there’s a few things I need to be clear about up front first:

1. My mom is a nationally-published author of several books. I have seen first-hand the pride an author takes in their work -- and their frustrations when they feel their work has been impinged upon. Therefore:

2. I am a big, big fan of supporting copyright laws. This tutorial does NOT exist to tell you how to shirk the system. And I will not be breaking copyright laws and handing them to you. You have to do your own work.

3. You must have a paid subscription to CC Connected for this to work. And, for legality sake, you should purchase your own Timeline cards as well.

4. Feel free to share this post with friends who may want to create their own Timeline cards. But, please. Respect Classical Conversations AND copyright laws. Do not share your files. It may seem innocent, but it is really just plain old stealing.

So, we good? Excellent.

How To Make Your Own Portable Timeline Cards


1. Log in to CC Connected. It's actually not as direct as it sounds. If you’re not sure how to make this happen or need step-by-step instructions, check out my popular tutorial.

2. Instead of selecting Fileshare or Forum, click on the lowest link: Student Tutorials.




3. When you get inside the Student Tutorials, you will see a screen to select which cycle you would like to view. The Timeline cards repeat every year, which is wonderful! However, the three cycle presentations of the Timeline actually do NOT look the same. Personally, I preferred the look of the Cycle 3 Timeline tutorial, so that’s what I went with. 

4. Click on your preferred cycle. Select the Timeline Tutorial.

5. The Timeline cards will pop up one at a time. Wait for them all to appear on the screen, pause the tutorial, and then take a screen shot. (Not sure how to take a screen shot? Don’t worry. Google how to do it on your device. You can even take screenshots on iPads.)

6. Print your Timeline screenshots on white cardstock and then run through a laminator. There will be 24 pages total.

7. Use a hole punch to make a hole in the top corner and connect with a ring, if you so desire.

And there you have it. Portable Timeline Card Photos for your family to enjoy, slobber on, mangle, and squish to their heart’s content. And they fit in a backpack SO much easier than the big stack.

Bonus Tip


If you look at the back of the original Timeline cards, you’ll see a whole bunch of information that explain what that Timeline fact is all about. 

If you’re looking for an easy way to explain the Timeline cards to younger children, check out my Timeline Tidbits by bentkitchen on CC Connected.

11 comments:

  1. Good idea. Thank you. I really enjoyed the first 10weeks of timeline tidbits. Do you have more on C3 ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz - glad you enjoyed them! I thought up to week 12 was uploaded. Hmmmm. I'll have to check. My goal is to work on weeks 13-24 during break.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Great question. I went for simple and easy -- just printed and laminated on 8.5x11.

      Delete
  3. How do you do it without having a play button show up in the middle of the screen (while paused)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a Mac computer. The cycle 3 version didn't have a pause button show up when I paused it. If you still get the pause button, you may have to do a super-fast screen shot and then trim it. OR you can take a full-page screen capture and then go back and trim how you want it.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for your time and energy that you have put into this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you ever finish the Timeline Tidbits for your family? (and maybe just never get a chance to put them on CC connected?) Please oh please? We used them the entire first semester last year and tried using the entire card during the second semester, and sure enough, the kiddos had tuned out and don't remember much of anything from the second half of the timeline!! Thanks so much for the first 12 weeks, and let me know if you happen to have the second 12, they really are a treasure.
    Kari
    kuhrich@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Timeline Tidbits are wonderful. They are very helpful for the kids and me. I was wondering the same thing as Kari- do you have weeks 11-24? If you do and could upload them to CCC I'd love to utilize them.
      Lisa
      Lisa

      Delete