Saturday, August 17, 2013

Recipe: Chicken Divan

This delicious recipe was passed along by my dear friend at Woodhaven Homestead. It's a deliciously creamy dish that has a hint of dijon and onion. I tweaked the recipe a bit and included my own secret ingredient for a white sauce -- beans! Yes, that's right. No one will ever know!! Serve over rice or pasta for a delightful one-pot meal.

Did I mention this freezes GREAT? Simply make a double-batch and freeze for later! To save space, I make a double batch of sauce and freeze JUST the sauce in a gallon bag -- this way I don't have to put a 9x13 pan in my freezer. When it's time to cook, I'll thaw the sauce and then make the dish.


(served over rice)

Chicken Divan 
(makes one 9x13 pan)

1 pkg frozen broccoli (other vegetables *can* be used, but broccoli is so yummy!)
2 c cooked chicken
3/4 of a stick of butter (~1/3 c.)
1/2 c flour
3 c milk
1/2 c cream
1 c grated parmesan
1-1/2 TB dijon mustard
2 TB dried minced onion
1/2 tsp worcester sauce
1 can white navy beans
salt + pepper, to taste

Combine broccoli and chicken in a 9x13 pan. No need to grease. Set aside.

Ready to bake!
In a sauce pot, melt the butter and stir in flour gradually. Once thickened, add milk.

Once smooth, add remaining ingredients and heat until cheese is melted.

Using an immersion stick blender, separate blender, or food processor, puree until creamy and beans are undetectable.

Pour the sauce over the chicken and broccoli.

Bake 350*F for 45 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment