This recipe is just synonymous with comfort food. It tastes great, fits in your hand great, freezes great, reheats great... it's just ... great. And it only calls for 4 ingredients. Which is great. Can you tell my bias? :)
While the original recipe from a friend called for crescent-dough in a tube, there are some much healthier (and tastier) options out there. My favorite recipe to use is from HeavenlyHomemakers.com. It's a perfect crescent dough alternative. In fact, children in France learn to make this dough themselves because it's so easy.
Plus, you can use the extra dough to make pop-tarts for dessert. How is THAT not awesome??
(leftovers make GREAT lunches)
1 batch of whole wheat dough (Or crescent dough in a tube)
2 c cooked chicken
1 8oz pkg of cream cheese
2 tsp of your favorite seasoning, like Mrs. Dash, Italian Seasoning, etc. (optional)
In a small bowl, mash the chicken, cream cheese, and seasonings together.
|Ready to mash.|
|You don't have to roll the dough, just squish it with your hand.|
Bake at 350*F for 20-25 minutes. Let cool. They will be HOT! Serve with gravy or enjoy it plain. Freeze and reheat for a fast dinner and delicious lunch.
COOK FROM FREEZER INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Place filled (but uncooked) chicken puffs on a lined cookie sheet.
2. Place puffs in freezer until frozen solid. I usually wait a day.
3. Remove puffs off of tray and place into ziplock bags. I like to put as much as we need for a meal in 1 bag.
4. On Dinner Day, remove bag/appropriate number of puffs from freezer.
5. Place on a baking sheet and stick in oven. I like to stick it in the oven as it preheats. OR you can just put it in a 350*F warm oven.
6. Bake 350*F for 18-25 minutes, or until warmed through. Enjoy!